The island’s History
Visiting the island unwraps the most beautiful moments of a long tradition.
Ammouliani is the only inhabited island of Central Macedonia with a permanent popoulation (600 inhabitants). It is located in the Gulf of Mount Athos and abstains 130km from Thessaloniki, linked by ferry boat to the opposite coast of Tripiti (Ammouliani- Tripiti 2 nautical miles). The ferry routes are regular and often during the day.
Until 1925, the island was a metohi (church property) of Holy Monastery of Vatopedi, of Mount Athos, then inhabited mainly by 2-3 monks, who were managing the land property, having approximately 20 assistants from the surrounding area. They were occupied with the fields’ cultivation, olive plantations ,and grazing animals. At the early of 1925, the island was vested to the refugees who came fromMinor Asia, and more concrete from the islands of Propontis (Galleme, Passalimani, Skoupia).
Coming from these areas, which were neighbouring with Constantinople, the refugees brought with them their culture, customs and heir tradition. Having the knowledge of living with and by the sea, they concentrated on fishing and managed in a few years to stand out for their craft.